Thursday 3 April 2014

Early Easter Cakes!

Hello everyone! It's been a few days since the last post, and I'm in the mood to take a break from assignments and post another recipe! I know it's a couple of weeks until Easter, but I finish uni for a 2-week break tomorrow and I'm in the mood to post a recipe for cute Easter cakes! This recipe is extremely easy and makes about 12 good-sized cakes.


Little Easter cakes... perfect for gifts (or keep them all for yourself)



What you need:
An easy way to remember this recipe is by the numbers '4442', and you'll see why...
Mix those ingredients!!

  • 100g/4oz butter (softened)
  • 100g/4oz caster sugar
  • 100g/4oz self raising flour
  • 2 eggs
...such an easy recipe to remember for the future!

For the buttercream:
  • 140g/5oz butter (softened)
  • 280g/10oz icing sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp milk
  • few drops of food colouring (optional - I didn't use any)
What to do...
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
  2. Mix together the butter and caster sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Add the flour and egg, and mix. I usually add a bit of each at a time; I add a little flour, then an egg, and mix together. Then I add the other egg and the rest of the flour and mix that. By mixing in less flour at once, it's slightly less messy!
  4. Distribute the creamy mixture into 12 cake cases (or a few more if needed).
  5. Bake the cakes for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. When cakes are baked, take them out of the oven and leave them to cool on a wire cooling rack. Make sure they are completely cool before adding buttercream.
To decorate...

Mix together the ingredients for the butter cream until smooth and creamy. This is the chance to add anything into it, like food colouring... I like to add sprinkles into the buttercream sometimes too! 

"Look at me, I'm cuter than all the rest..."
I used a teaspoon to blob the buttercream onto the top of each cake. You could use a piping bag to make cute swirls and patterns on the cakes, but I decided to go for the 'blob' approach instead. I then added 2 little mini eggs onto each cake and sprinkled it with some pink and white decorative balls to finish it off. 

This recipe is so easy to make and doesn't take long at all. Plus, you can have fun with the decorating! You could change the decoration and add chocolate chunks, edible decorations such as butterflies, or non-edible decorations such as fluffy yellow Easter chicks! I'll be making some more Easter cakes when I'm at home next week, so make sure I post a photo of how to use the cute little chick decorations.

Have fun, and thank you for reading! Also, if you've got a free two minutes, please fill out this very short survey to help me improve the blog in the future! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment